'Cranford' Spoiler Free Review

I didn't enjoy this as much as Mary Barton. I think because it wasn't originally written and a novel and it shows. The chapters were initially published periodically at the time, so there is no real overarching story for the first half of the book. It was only when Gaskell started writing the chapters/ stories more consistently that a more linear story forms and even then the last two chapters were published ten years apart. That being said 'Cranford' was a fascinating insight into the Victorian rural life and the impact new inventions like the railroad and the post had on society. I also liked what this novel said about gender. Cranford is almost all populated by women, so it was exciting reading Gaskell's take on a female dominated society. She did present some quite modern views in this novel which I was surprised to see. I would not recommend this book as an introduction to Victorian fiction as it was slightly hard to follow at times and not as exciting as others I've read because this is about day to day life. If you are already familiar with some Victorian novels, however, and you are looking for something unique then give this book a try. 

Comments

Popular Posts:

RWBY Volume 5 Theories and Predictions

'Spiderman Homecoming' Review:

RWBY Volume 4 Soundtrack Review:

Blogs I love: