'Lady Audley's Secret' Spoiler Free Review

Overall I did enjoy this book. However, it isn't the best Victorian novel I've ever read. The story is a sensationalist novel and is almost imitating a detective novel with its plot. All of the characters were interesting and believable. They all had their flaws and were both likable and hateable. I also thought this was a very thought-provoking book and offered some interesting commentaries on the differences between men and women as well as the class divide, madness, and emigration. That being said Lady Audley's 'secret' was fairly obvious. I won't spoil it here but you can quickly work it out by around the mid-point of the book and I thought we were told it too early. I also thought the story was slightly drawn out. Most Victorian novels do seem slow-paced by our modern standards but this book, in particular, I thought could have been told in 100 pages less. I thought it was a pretty simple read so if you are at all interested in Victorian Literature you won't have trouble with it.

Comments

Popular Posts:

RWBY Volume 5 Theories and Predictions

'Spiderman Homecoming' Review:

RWBY Volume 4 Soundtrack Review:

Blogs I love: