'The Lifted Veil' Spoiler Free Review

Image result for the lifted veil
I was unsure how to rate this novella at first but having sat with it for a few days and done a bit of reading around the story and the author I've decided I love it. The whole plot is very unusual, and the story starts at the end. It deals with hypnotism and other supernatural and pseudo-scientific occurrences and abilities. The entire story is written in a brilliant way that is suspenseful and provides a creepy tone. I haven't read any George Elliot before so I can't compare this to any of her other works. Most of her books are very realistic which this indeed wasn't. This was a very unrealistic Gothic novella that tackles a lot of themes like the developments of science at the time, human relationships, disability and illusions. The plot was thoroughly entertaining right up until the climax which I won't spoil, but it was one of the best and most shocking endings to a Victorian story that I have ever read. I would recommend trying this book if you're interested in anything I've just mentioned. It's quite a short novella too and can easily be read in one sitting.

Comments

Popular Posts:

RWBY Volume 5 Theories and Predictions

'Spiderman Homecoming' Review:

RWBY Volume 4 Soundtrack Review:

Blogs I love: