RWBY Manga Anthology #2 'Mirror Mirror' Spoiler Free Review

I didn't think this was as good as the first one (the Ruby edition), but it is still worth a read if you're a fan of the show. This is the second anthology about the Rooster Teeth show RWBY and focuses on the second member of Team RWBY, Weiss Schnee. All of the stuff I said about the previous collection that was good still stands for this one, but I'll quickly recap it. I think these anthologies are a great way of showcasing different artists and their work. They provide new takes and new character interactions for fans of the show. However, it is worth saying that these mangas are not canon. This series is especially worth a read if you're a fan of RWBY Chibi because the majority of the stories in this anthology are comedic ones that take place while the four girls are still at Beacon. My favourite story in this series was 'Soft, Warm Ears' because I thought it had some of the better art-work and story. No matter what style of art you like you will find it in one of these books. Once again I would say that you need to have seen at least the first two volumes of the show to get a lot of these stories. This is where my first criticism comes in, however, as I feel like this book, more than the last one, had a hard time knowing what its audience was. It kept re-introducing Weiss while also harking back to previous events in the show. Either re-introduce the character for a new readership or just assume the fans of the show already know a lot about her. By the end, I just got sick of reading about her backstory with every new artist. This brings me on to my next criticism that all of the stories were very similar. I know Weiss is a much more interesting character than just being a wealthy stuck-up princess/ heiress and a sister, but these were the only two angles the stories took. Again, by the end it just got repetitive. The art styles were different, but the all the stories began with her being the snobby brat we know from Volume 1 and ended with her learning to work with her team. I think this was due to a lack of communication with the artists. If the artists had said what kind of story they wanted to tell this could have been avoided. Overall I did enjoy this book, just not as much as the first. It just didn't quite live up to its potential. That being said I will be reading the next one.

Comments

Popular Posts:

RWBY Volume 5 Theories and Predictions

'Spiderman Homecoming' Review:

RWBY Volume 4 Soundtrack Review:

Blogs I love: